Thursday, October 20, 2011

Things I'm Missing Back Home

As much fun as being in Hawaii is, there's always going to be a part of me missing home.  I didn't realize exactly how much I was giving up by coming here.  Not just a semester back at Illinois with my friends and the club softball team and seeing my family and dog.  I'm giving up things that I can't get back.

I missed my sister's 21st birthday.  Her one and only.  I would have loved to have been there to celebrate it with her (for obvious reasons).

I missed my brother's 13th birthday.  His one and only.  He's finally a teenager, but I still won't be able to see him for a few more weeks.

I'm missing my brother's first concert in jazz band.  He plays the drums and is really good at it.  Last year he tried out for and made jazz band, and I'm so proud of him, but I'm not going to be there the first time he plays.

I missed my little cousin David in his very first play.  He's the funniest little guy and adorable as anything, and I would have liked to see him up there performing.

I'm missing the Victoria's Secret Pink party at Illinois that's happening right now I believe.  Every year VS has a competition with all the colleges to host their annual campus party at, and Illinois won it this year.  I even voted as much as I could to help us win it, but I'm missing out. Although it's not as important as...

...Thanksgiving.  I will be missing it this year.  This will be the first (and hopefully only) time I won't be able to spend a Thanksgiving with my family.

Also, I'm missing the annual East Peoria parade of lights, a tradition my family does that happens every year on the Saturday after Thanksgiving.  It's always freezing outside, so we bundle up in our winter coats and snowgear, make a couple thermoses of hot chocolate, eat at Monical's pizza, and sit in the same place.  Every year.  I have never missed a parade of lights.  I've gone every year since I was born.  And this year I will miss it.

I am grateful, however, that I won't be missing my grandmother's birthday, another tradition in my family since it's so close to Christmas.  We all get dressed up and go out to eat and just have a great time with each other.

And I am very happy that I will be spending Christmas at home with the people I love most.

Miss you guys!

Aloha!

No comments:

Post a Comment